Expanded explanation of verifying active military duty

I am regularly asked to verify whether a defendant is currently serving in the military.  The best way to do this is to search the Official Department of Defense Servicemembers Civil Relief Act website.  This is slightly trickier than it sounds.  For one thing, going to the site will probably bring up a security warning about a problem with the site’s certificate — you just go to the site any way.  Also, the SCRA database requires a Social Security Number.  If you don’t have one, you may be able to look it up using one of the public records databases in the Social Security Numbers entry.   Otherwise you can place an order with a military records retrieval service.   Anyway, I rewrote the first paragraph of the Military Records entry to explain all this in just a bit more detail.


About zimmermansguide

zimmermansguide is the WordPress username for Andy Zimmerman, the author of Zimmerman's Research Guide. Over the years people have asked me for a way to follow the changes to the Guide. The ZRG Blog is written for anyone who would really like to know.
This entry was posted in Litigation, Public Records. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s